Monday, March 06, 2006

Jews and the Oscars

At the Academy Awards last night, host Jon Stewart ribbed director Steven Spielberg for "Munich," the film about Israeli soldiers in pursuit of the men who killed Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympic Games. "From the man who also gave us 'Schindler's List... " he said. " 'Schindler's List' and 'Munich.' I think I speak for all Jews when I say, 'I can't wait to see what happens to us next!' Trilogy!"

That comment made me think once again about the depiction of Jews in Hollywood, both film and T.V. Far too often we are either depicted as victims, like Schindler’s list and those slaughtered in Munich. Or, we are seen as people to be laughed at – like Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm. We are SO much more than that. But will the viewing public ever get to see, to understand that?! It will be a new day when Jews are seen as people dedicated to living good and moral lives, leading by example; trying to make the world a better place. For thousands of years we Jews have been the conscience of the world.

Some of that moral conscience came through when Stewart gave Hollywood both barrels: "I'm from New York and I've been here a week and a half. A lot of people say this town is too liberal. Out of touch with mainstream America. A modern day beachfront Sodom and Gomorrah. A black hole where innocence is obliterated. An endless orgy of sexual gratification and greed. I don't really have a joke here...and I just thought you should know a lot of people are saying that."

To my mind, he’s not that far off. But agree with him or not it’s that kind of social criticism that has set Jews apart since the time of the Bible. It doesn’t always make good T.V. but the next generation is not going to want to devote their lives to being victims or the butt of jokes. But if they could see themselves as helping to grow humanity, of contributing to our nation’s moral evolution…

No comments: